Tuesday, October 18

Self Portrait Tuesday - Doco Series III

I grew up in 2 inner city suburbs of Sydney and have lived a completely urban existence. Today I'm showing you an event that was a first timer for me. Last year visiting the in-laws in Germany, before the real true cold nights started, JD and I picked the apple tree clean and stored away the ever diminishing harvest in the cellar for the year. JD grew up with a forest at his back door, and a grandmother who had a garden the size of a park full of fruit trees and vegetables and herbs, while I played cricket and soccer in the street until dark and rode my skateboard and bike through the hippy crowd that used to gather at the Paddo Bazaar - which is now called the Paddington markets. We could not have had more different roots.

Germany is a bit of a fairytale land for me. Somehow everything is so safe, and clean and perfect. It's very rural and the seasons are so dominating that you feel quite connected to nature because it's all encompassing with the extremes that each season brings.

When I see these photos, I can smell the apples and feel the cold humid air and remember how doing something as simple as picking apples off a tree made me very happy.









16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos...they are literally making my mouth water!

1:51 pm  
Blogger mim said...

i loved reading your last 4 posts....love your blog... :)

7:03 pm  
Blogger j. vorwaller said...

gorgeous photos!! all over your blog. :) i love the love in the clouds below...

11:07 pm  
Blogger Misty Mawn said...

Wonderful!!! Such beautiful shots! Your title really fits you...your life seems full of love and life! Thanks for sharing!

12:39 am  
Blogger Natascha Rosenberg said...

What a beautiful photos!!

3:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My entire childhood was spent living in the country, and most of my adulthood, bar 1996 & 1997, living in the city, so I think I have a reasonably balanced outlook on both lifestyles. One of the greatest things I've learned is that you should never underestimate the simple things because they generally bring so much more pleasure. One of my favourite things to do is pick fruit (usually blackberries, although the prickles can be dangerous) or go mushrooming.

I find it interesting that you associate nature etc with Germany and not your own backyard - Australia - which I think is so beautiful and awe-inspiring. I miss the big blue skies most of all...

4:06 am  
Blogger Diz Rivera said...

The colors are fascinating. Really pretty and crisp.

6:41 am  
Blogger dani said...

I can't express adequately just how much each of your comments today have touched me. Thank you for all the encouragement and compliments.

In answer to kimbofo: I too found it weird that I'd associate nature with Germany when Australia is one huge natural paradise. I think it's because no matter where you live in Germany, within 15 mins or less you're in the fields, farm country, buying food from the farmer on the roadside. It's the ruralness of the place. Now as an adult I get out into Australia's nature as a part of my way of life but as a child it was totally urban grittiness.

8:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

these are stunning. i especially love the last one. just gorgeous!

1:03 am  
Blogger mati rose said...

gourgeous shots! i feel like i'm there about to bite into an apple!

4:08 pm  
Blogger Iris said...

What a wonderful series - I grew up in Germany and with your pictures and descriptions it was like a piece of my childhood returned...

12:29 am  
Blogger Susan said...

Love your pics!

8:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had a applegarden. It looks so nice. Like life.

4:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your pics so much!
may i ask what camera are you using? coz i am planning to buy a new camera. Thanks!

12:23 pm  
Blogger dani said...

beatrice, thank you!!! these were taken with our old kodak, which i wouldn't recommend, it's only 3 megapixel and click and point. but i do like it's lens somehow and sometimes it can deliver some good results - but not always. these days you can't really go wrong if you spend more than $800AUD. Good luck with your purchase but i'm not a camera guru at all. just like taking photos.

7:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you very much for your suggestion! I love the color tone of your photos, that's why i raise such a question. I will try to look into the magazines and find out the one i love!

thank you very very much!

1:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home