Thursday, October 20

Travelling

A friend called late last night from Germany, all jittery and just about to take off to Hong Kong. She was feeling nervous about the long flight. And getting DVT. I wasn't giving her the sympathetic ear she was hoping for. Her flight will be 10 hours long. When I asked her if she'd like to pop down and see me for a few days after her business, and told her it's only 12 hours she freaked out. My coming trip will be 22 hours, with a 4 hour train ride (unless I can somehow find a domestic flight to Berlin that doesn't cost the earth). Alone. Now that freaks me out.

The last 2 European trips I've done have left me nauseas & vomiting. I'm not sure why this is happening because for the past 20 years I'd flown with ease. One theory is that my sinus problems lead to the inner ear not being able to clear properly which gives me the nausea. Or it could have just been a bit of bad luck and low blood sugar because I don't eat much when I fly. The thought of flying cattle class, and having to use that little paper bag made to look like a film deposit bag, whilst sitting next to a perfect stranger, arriving all stinky and strung out and then sitting on a train for 4 hours where most seats are designed to face other people is like a nightmare. Maybe I should just get myself some quality sleeping tablets to blot everything out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kt said...

Don't panic - if you start throwing up, they generally try and get you into the pointy end of the plane where you can lie down and freak out fewer people. I know this from travelling with a friend who had awful attacks of nausea every time we got near a plane. Or boat. Or bus. Or car.

8:28 pm  
Blogger dani said...

Kt thank you for caring. The 1st time it happened to me I was sitting in the nose in seat 3a, and I was so glad I had a nice clean loo to use. The 2nd time was in cattle and they didn't move me at all - I was hoping for that. The weird thing is I've been travelling by plane for close on 20 years now and it never happened before. I want to know what it is so I can remedy the situation.

9:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home