Monday, August 29

Un-Australian??

There are so many things wrong with this country right now I don't know where to start really, so this post is just highlighting just one sad aspect, but if our pathetic, fear-mongering, racist, fascist leaders actually somehow pull off this crazy idea of banning the hijab being worn in State schools I am seriously going to have to think about leaving. And hand in hand with that ridiculous idea is the notion that there is this tangible thing called "being Australian". How the hell can "Australian" be identified in characteristics and way of life? There are almost 20 million of us now living here, and who knows how many living overseas - I know that the way I live and think is different to more than 2/3rds of the people in my little street, let alone the whole country. Am I un-Australian? I probably am because I know I am so in the minority when it comes to talking about who should run the country, should we be at war, etc etc. But really, what is being Australian? I think it should be about being open, tolerant, inclusive, respectful. But then again, look at our track history, about 200 years ago we weren't any of those things.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shell said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. It's crazy really isn't it? This tied in with the recent want to change Industrial Relations is making me so damn angry.

6:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting you should say this. When I went back to Oz for a week this time last year (yes, I know, crazy to travel all that way for just seven days, but my sister was due to have her first baby and I wanted to be there!) I noticed a lot of changes in the mood of the country that I just did not like. The mood had shifted towards intolerance and fear.

The Australian media, which is appalling at the best of times (why do you think I left the country to work as a journalist overseas: I couldn't stand the small-mindedness and the laziness in the industry), was feeding on this to the point where, as an outsider, it seemed laughable. But whenever I tried to engage family and friends into a discussion on this matter they didn't know what I was talking about. And didn't I realise "we are a terrorist target and all these Islamic people are out to get us". Sad, but true.

Sometimes I am ashamed to say I am Australian. John Howard et al have a lot to answer for. What is this, the 1950s?

7:43 pm  
Blogger dani said...

Good to hear there are more of "us" out there girls.

8:49 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

I totally agree with you. I am so sick of the whole 'proud to be Australian' thing and like you say how can 'Australian' be measured in characteristics, when we are a nation of so many cultures.

Open, tolerant, inclusive and respectful.....i think these are lacking in many who are 'proud to be Australian'.

6:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home