Wednesday, July 19

Early to Bed Does Not Necessarily Guarantee You a Good Nights Sleep



I was in bed before 10pm. Since JD last left it's been more like 12am or later. At 2am I awoke in a sweat after nightmare 1:

A tsunami had hit Bondi. I was able to hang onto a coastal tree branch and take the full force of the wave against my body. There were 3 more surges. I was getting exhausted and my hands were beginning to ache. And I was getting pissed off with some people who'd also taken hold of the same tree as the tree roots were beginning to give from the weight of all of us. The feeling that the tree wouldn't hold anymore and the tide being so high beneath us was frightening. I aborted the dream quickly. I couldn't get back to sleep. All I kept thinking about was having a real escape plan in place for us if we're at the beach and this happens: which way will we run, which building would be strongest to take the force of the wave, where's the quickest highest point from the beach. It was driving me nuts.

And then at 5am I awoke in a sweat after nightmare 2:

This is a stock standard dream of mine with slight variations and which is a bit too personal for here. But basically leaves me feeling desperate, alone, disbelieving, hurt and crying - crying so much that I'm crying as I wake up. And usually the feeling lasts the whole day. It's hideous. And again I couldn't get back to sleep.



Being woken out of semi-sleep by JD at 7am was fantastic because then I knew that night was over.

4 Comments:

Blogger s_hayley said...

Nurturing and comfort are often in order after this stuff. Call a friend for a chat, a friendly voice might be what you need. Eat food that makes you feel good (some warm family favourites that have good associations?) and spend some time nurturing yourself (and your talents?)... Read a positive book, maybe re-read a favourite, get out and bring the camera, or do some painting.

10:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are dreams much like I had when we first moved to San Francisco. The feeling that the ocean was welling up around me--I had this recurring dream for weeks. I wonder if you're facing some new challenge that feels overwhelming? I'm sorry about the nightmares, that the feelings last all day. I can sympathise, having been there many times before.
Glad to hear it wasn't a real tsumami!!! First time I read the second paragraph I had only scanned it (you know, my kids are always rnning rampant around the house--I have little focus away from them when they're awake), not catching that it was really a dream. Yikes!

11:13 am  
Blogger dani said...

thanks all!

once i'd written this post the bad feeling weirdly left me. like i'd put it out. even when talking about it usually it doesn't lift that quickly so yeah for blogging!!!

and yes been photographing and painting alot lately. and i'm even loving my painting. my latest oe which was commissioned by a friend is almost done....can't wait to see what she thinks about it.

your comments mean alot. xxx

11:23 am  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

oh dani, i'm so glad you felt better after blogging!

here's to sweet dreams!!
xo

5:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home