Sunday, February 19

Love



The Shipping News is still one of my most favourite books. Annie E. Proulx is an absolute genius. I remember that book falling off a shelf in a bookstore at my feet. I hadn't heard anything about it and after reading the blurb on the back, flicked through and was mesmerised and totally taken with the chapter starts - the knots - the little pictures. I devoured it and made everyone I knew read it.

The movie version however, did not do this story justice. How could it? And after seeing Brokeback Mountain and absolutely loving it - I'm rushing out tomorrow to get the story (although which book is it in?) and I wonder how I'll view the film then.

My god what a sad story. I'm sure everyone has already seen it by now so I'm not going to bang on about it - apart from saying that this is one of the most real love stories I've seen. I loved it, I thought both the lead's were great together, there was passion happening between them. You so totally fall in love with these 2 characters. The photography was beautiful. The country was stunning. The music is cool. Ang Lee is a genius.

But how fucked up is the world to have let that crap happen then in the 60's and let it still happen today. It makes me sick to my stomach to think that in some communities in the world, there are people who aren't living out their love with another in an open and honest way, instead they live miserable lives pretending to be something or someone else and probably hurting many other people on the way.

I hope Heath Ledger wins the Oscar. He is gorgeous. I think he did an awesome job and likewise Jake G. and Michelle Williams.

Enough said, just go and see the film if you haven't already.

2 Comments:

Blogger kath red said...

i loved this movie too. so very sad and yet what a wonderful love story

10:43 am  
Blogger Sally said...

I read the book in my lunchbreak yesterday and just loved it and can't wait to get to the movie. Annie P is a stunning writer and it sounds like the film does the book justice. It is a single volume (only 59pgs)- I got mine from the library.
Also, Dani, ages ago you mentioned trouble with photos. I use a tool called jpegger which makes my photos smaller and easier to load when veiwing and loading but they still look great. I love your blog.

10:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home