Wednesday, September 14

I am now ready to Share


This past weekend was full of emotion. Emotions that have been locked up, hidden away, pushed down and forgotten for my entire life.

Friday the 9th of September 2005, I met my brother. I looked into his eyes and hugged him for the first time in my life. I felt his energy and saw his spirit and knew and felt with every part of my being his connectedness to me. Without a second passing I felt great love for this man even though he is almost a complete stranger. By the end of the evening, some 7 hours later I feel I never ever want him out of my life.

One week earlier, on the 1st Friday in September as I looked on in wonder at the setting sun’s light changing the colour of Uluru, I got my first inkling that something big was up. My sister had called and said I needed to speak with my mum. An hour later I was listening to my mother’s pure joy as she told me about the hand written letter she had received that morning. A letter written with so much at stake. A letter wanting contact with her, his birth mother. From that moment my life changed.

Over a decade earlier my mother had registered her name with Adoption Services with the hope that her son would want to contact her some day. With every year that passed so did her/our hopes. My sister and I often dabbled with the idea of contacting him ourselves. We as full siblings felt we had every right to. But we never went through with it.

I will refer to my brother as JP here. He is 2 years older than my sister and I. I am now beginning a journey to get to know him and his family. One of the greatest journey’s of my life.


I can happily report that ALL members involved are happy with these new circumstances - we are the luckiest people in the world. My world and family has now grown by 3.

8 Comments:

Blogger dani said...

Thank you Kasia. And now you will always remind me of cyclamens.

10:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a lovely story. It must be an amazing feeling to connect with someone who has so far been a stranger to you but is, in fact, a blood relative.

Oh, and the picture of the cyclamens is lovely - by far my favourite house plant.

3:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an experience it must of have been for you!
It's great for you and your familie that your wishes have come true!

6:56 am  
Blogger dani said...

Kim and Marisa, thank you too for your well wishes. To think that this is something I had only shared with a handful of people my whole life and now I'm sharing it publicly with the world without shame is very healing for me.

7:30 am  
Blogger dani said...

Michelle, your post from Monday pretty much kicked me over the line to write my post. So THANK YOU.

9:02 am  
Blogger mim said...

What a lovely story...enjoy life with your brother now that you know him :)

4:54 pm  
Blogger dani said...

Thanks so much Caliope - I really hope to.

5:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is courageos of you to tell these strangers about it! But you are right, there 's no need to be ashemed. You would be surprised of how many people have simular isseus in their lives. Here in Holland one of the best watched television program is the that is only dedicated to relatives trying to find unknown mams, dads, brothers and sisters.
In my own life there was a time that I havent seen, speak or heard from my dad for almost 20 years. So... these things happen.
Now you found your brother, just enjoy the richness of having him :D

11:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home