Tuesday, May 30

A Strange Day

To take my mind off the plumbing nightmare, my sister suggested a visit to the Art Gallery of NSW. It really was the perfect thing to do on such a cold wet morning. But Doll wasn't as interested in the art as much as we were, understandably for an almost 3 year old, and so it was rather short lived. This is a painting by John Olsen from 1963, it's called Five Bells and is one of my all time favourites.



If you can remember back to the beginning of the year we had a major plumbing problem, following an even more disastrous plumbing problem for our neighbours - their's being around $6000 worth of problem. Well we've had to do the emergency fix twice now and we've done Stage 1 of the new pipework, and when we got the quote for the 2nd Stage, we baulked at the price but now realise that the job is necessary sooner than later. There are so many trees in the streets around our house, we've got a couple and so do our neighbours - and our house was built in 1890, and the pipes are the old clay ones and easily break when tree roots are around. Here's a shot of the culprit - tree roots. Our plumber had to put the electric eel in twice and you should have seen what he pulled out after I took this shot - it was 40 cm long and thick with roots filling the entire tubing but the light was crappy and the image is blurrier than this one. So I can now use my loo and cook and take showers and basically take water usage and plumbing for granted (like the rest of you) again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kt said...

John Olsen is a god.
Glad to hear the plumbing's fixed.

7:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember we had plumbing problems in Yurong St and the plumber used the electric eel. At 9 I was absolutely fascinated by it. Now because of the renovations - anything plumbing - I'm way over it!

Conch xxx

10:21 am  
Blogger Yolanda said...

So glad to have your blog thru la vie en rose . I will be returning often

6:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that painting is amazing. I'll have to check it out

3:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home